Monday, November 1, 2010

The Importance of Giving

Today I was talking with East Coast Girlfriend (ECG) and she mentioned that she was going to be volunteering at a food bank this week. We spent a little while discussing the importance of volunteering and at the same time Dream Hampton (!!!)* put this quote up on twitter,

“There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don’t expect you to save the world I do think its not asking too much to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect” –Nikki Giovanni

The holidays are a time when I reflect on the past year, spend time with family, and try to make some time to volunteer and give back to my community. This quote really struck a chord with me for various reasons. The first being that many people volunteer during this time of the year. That’s great! At the same time the less fortunate need help all throughout the year. (pause for a moment of self reflection)

The second was that while I know I spend a lot of time thinking about what I can do to help others, how much time am I devoting to the people that I call friends and family. This year has been a year of great loss for me and other people in my inner circle. Death is a part of life, I know and accept that. This year more than any other I want to make sure that my loved ones know that they have my love and support.

Sometimes we just need a reminder

*If you are a writer, especially a black female writer you understand my excitement over Dream Hampton. “Yeah she’s pretty much amazing” (where is that quote from?)

No comments:

Post a Comment