Monday, November 15, 2010

Moment of Honesty: The S Word

Okay so we’ve gotten kinda close over the past month or so. (I know you all are reading even if you don’t comment LOL). I think it’s time for a #momentofhonesty…Here we go…

I HATE to share.
(with the vigor of Rumplestilskin jumping up and down when the millers daughter said his name)

I know you’re looking at your screen right now like didn’t she just post about the importance of giving a couple weeks ago? Yes I did. But here’s the thing, I don’t mind giving of my time but my personal things are another story. In life I know that giving of my time and resources is key. I’m a Christian and I have no problem with Malachi 3:10 (I’m not a thief). I’ll buy a person something to eat that’s asking for food, but I have a serious issue with splitting half of my sandwich with someone.

I was the child that hated to let someone else use my crayons because I didn’t want them to get worn down. I’d keep Barbies in the box because I wanted them to stay pretty and perfect. I save some products because if I use it, it will be gone.

I noticed that this aversion to sharing has continued on to adulthood. If someone asks can they have some of my drink I tell them wait a sec and drink my fill then let them have it. It’s not so much the germs that bother me (even though that’s super high on the list of concerns. I’m notorious for getting strep throat) it’s the fact that the person keeps reaching for a cup that is mine. It gets under my skin. And one sip is okay but take a gulp and I’m liable to cut you!

I do blame it partly on being an only child. I didn’t have any siblings that I had to share with and my cousins were either older or younger by an average of 5 years. I come from a family in which each household takes care of their own. My mom says her father taught her brothers to take care of home first and foremost. (Home being his wife and children) We get together for holidays and BBQs but for the most part everyone minds their own business.

With all that said I know it wouldn’t be fair for me to be in a serious relationship and flip out over him taking a sip of my soda or a bite of my sandwich but how do I get over this? Hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment