Saturday, November 6, 2010

For Colored Girls: My Thoughts

A couple of weeks ago I was reading Belle’s tweets after she went to a screening of Tyler Perry’s For Colored Girls. I was glad to hear from her that it wasn’t going to be done in typical TP fashion but it wasn’t quite all that it could have been. She said all the things I wanted to say (She’s AMAZING) Read her review at
www.abelleinbrooklyn.com or click on the link to her blog that I have on the side. The post is titled For Colored Girls:A Review.

I always like to make sure that I read the book before seeing a film adaptation because I like to see how much the film deviates or stays true to the original work. I’ve done it with A Raisin in the Sun, Push, The Notebook, Waiting to Exhale, How Stella Got Her Groove Back etc.

Ntozake Shange’s “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Isn’t Enough” is no exception. My parents have a poster in their bedroom from the play back in the day. I’ve looked at the poster a million times. When I got to high school I finally read the play and it touched me in so many ways. Shange’s words touch you deep down in your soul.

The film has an amazing cast. I believe it is a great movie for people who don’t know about Shange. They can use the movie as a starting point and then read the book to get the full depth of what she’s saying. (A woman sitting behind me in the theatre said "Maya Angelou had to be in this because this is deep" during a scene with Anika Noni Rose. The ignorance put a knife in my heart) This movie can be a tool for them to understand why women have been captivated by this play for years.

Go out and see the movie this weekend if you can! Support black art!

No comments:

Post a Comment